Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Final Phone Call

I've lost count of the number of calls I made. I can no longer figure out how many times I've dialed (and failed) one number after another. Yet, I almost feel the sound of myself like a telemarketer talking to friends or to strangers. I had to carry with me my battery charger to see to it that I could plug in my phone at the moment it goes empty. This day isn't a day to go out of coverage.

For over three weeks, I had been successful with my mobile phone hibernation until I had to defy this rule when my aunt was brought to Cebu City a week ago for her supposed aortic valvular replacement operation. Her family had decided to go on with this operation after Nanay Batik had been in and out of the provincial hospital for her aortic stenosis / congenital valvular heart disease which had been ailing her for several years. She had been confident to undergo the operation despite her condition being unstable along with her doctor's positive feedback of her eligibility for the operation after the coronary angiogram. But today, a day before her supposed schedule of operation, she breathe her last.

Mobile technology has been one of the best things that happen in this life. It lets you connect with people and gets you connected with them. We make calls or receive one even on the go. With various features, mobile technology combines calls, text messages, internet and others in one gadget. It reached a point that I didn't want to use my mobile phone at all in a so-called "mobile phone hibernation" to somehow alienate myself from getting reached through this technology.

However, there's one phone call we cannot pass. That final phone call will always come to each one of us. When the phone of life rings for us, there would be no "reject call" or "call divert" feature, only an "auto-answer". Whether that day fears or excites us, we should be ready to take the call and say "Thank you for calling ________________". 



To Nanay Batik, for a life well-lived here on earth, may you enjoy life in our heavenly home. Happy Trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment